Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Why choose LEDs


Why I am choosing LEDs for miniature lighting
I can make fixtures, and I can wire and solder and have done this with AC wiring for other miniature creations.
I use JAR-JAF <http://jar-jaf.com/> and bead stores to obtain parts for my miniature fixtures. I also find good 'stuff' at model railroad sites and stores. However, long ago (about 1977-78) I wired a whole dollhouse with the then available tape wire. It no longer works and that dollhouse has to be completely re-wired. I could simply run 'hard' wire over the top of my wallpaper, painted ceilings and such to rewire, but I find LEDs to be preferrable.
But before rewiring my large dollhouse, I need a simpler project to learn on. Thus I've built "Dad's Shop."
The advantage of LED lighting is that lamps, shades and other fixtures can be made of all sorts of materials, flammable or not: paper, clay, wood, or plastic. LEDs do not get hot and will not catch fire. Another advantage is that LEDs can be left on as long as your power (battery) lasts or as long as you leave them plugged in.
The wires are small, so I can hide them behind interior decor or inside something as simple as a drinking straw painted to look like a pipe. In this case, I am constructing a faux stone backing for a Chrysnbon pot-belly stove. Some of the wires will run down behind this part which is not yet glued in place.

There are some manufacturers who are making LED fixtures with batteries in them. I bought 3 of these for my large dollhouse, one kitchen, a porch lamp and a simple chandalier. Each cost around $30 USD. When installed and turned on, the light (lumins) given off was very slight, and did not really light the interior of a room or compare to AC lighting. The only advantage I can see to these fixtures is their convenience. However, I simply need more light in more places for a lower cost.

For more information about the advantages of LEDs go to  http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/leds-for-minis-tips.html 
The final advantage for me is that I do not need to figure out circuits. Each light gets its own line (black and red wire) to the adapter (or other power source).

No comments:

Post a Comment